[Dailydrool] Bad Day

Ross Houndage mtnbassets at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 10 13:32:47 PST 2010

Hello, and drool to all who need it. I'm still hit and miss with reading unfortunately but hope things will get back to routine soon. I have completely moved out of the rental, so am back to just two houses now. I go to NH this weekend to finalize the move from that house, and finally get my furniture up here! The movers will be there Weds.

Kahuna is slowly healing from his neuter. His scrotum is still about 3x the pre-surgical size but his belly and legs are no longer discolored or swollen.

The problem is Kirby the Saint. He and Kahuna have had some run ins, once at night when Kahuna jumped on the bed and grumbled when I pulled him off and once just walking from the kitchen to the living room. Kahuna was slightly behind me and Kirby was facing us and grabbed Kahuna. There was also one episode where Kirby grabbed Ace the Newf on the snout as he was coming in the back door. It seemed tight spaces and when I was present. I have kept Kahuna and Kirby separated since shortly before the neuter surgery but they have been fine outside. Today Kahuna came in and Kirby had attacked him out back. I didn't hear it - carpet being installed and the guys were banging. Kahuna looked like he'd had water poured on him. Just slime from Kirby. And he has several punctures around his ears and neck. So, they can't coexist. Kirby will have to go and it breaks my heart. He went right to the center of my heart when he came out of the truck so sick and still wagging his tail. We went through the TDI certification together and he is a therapy dog, and really a wonderful boy. We don't know why he is doing this and since is was a long ago neutered Newfie, and Kahuna, it's not a shape or size or testosterone (though I think that kept Kahuna from backing off). With the unpredictable behavior, the president of Saint Rescue and I are trying to determine if we can try to rehome Kirby or if he needs to go to the Bridge. He is a fabulous dog, but I can't put others at risk if he is unpredictable. She is looking at applications to see if there is a Saint experienced person, no other dogs, who might be willing to work through this with him. If it's because of all the changes, going into foster then another adoptive home will only make it worse as well. One way or another he will be out of here on Sat - either going back to NH/MA with me to go to his foster home or on his final trip to the Bridge. I could use some drool to help make the right decision. If he is going to the Bridge, it needs to be with me, in my arms. I don't want to send him away, and have that be the outcome. That isn't fair to him. So I only have a couple of days to decide.

Kahuna is fine by the way, and already on Simplicef so the vet said to just continue that and call if anything looks worse. He is boarding at the vet while I'm gone, not here at home, since he is still recovering anyway, so she will keep an eye on things.

Synthia, doing lots of thinking while rubbing those bellies
Bud, Barney, Zuma, Kahuna (I still got a BIG set back there, no matter what anyone says), Peaches, Pearl, Dickens
Ace and Kirby (I love you Mom, that guy just annoys me)