[Dailydrool] Bruce went on a Bender

Karrie Kuecker wandereroftheworld at gmail.com
Thu Feb 18 16:50:24 PST 2010

Hello,
I know, been awhile since either Joey or I have written, but I've been
really busy with school, and Joey's decided to hibernate this winter. I
started fostering a hound a few weeks ago named Bruce. Bruce is the most
food motivated dog I've ever seen in my life! Today, he managed to claw his
way into a cabinet, ransack the trash & tear open a 15 lb. bag of Merrick's
Turdunken dog food! I came to to poop on my carpet, a huge mess in the
kitchen & Bruce looking like he swallowed a basketball! I called the rescue
to let them know what's going on, and drove him straight to the vet! Good
news is that the vet said that there was no stomach torsion, and also that
it wasn't really bloat... he was completely full of food! He weighed over 6
lbs. more than normal! So, the prescription was to just take him home, extra
walks, and watch to make sure that there's no ill effects. Good news is that
he's still pooping (albeit diarreah, yuck!!) so all looks like it's still
functioning properly. Bruce looks super pathetic, though, as his tummy is
hanging down nearly to the ground!

So, if anyone out in drool land knows roughly how long it takes around 6
lbs. of food to metabolize & exit a nearly 42 lb. hound, please let me know!
I'm just hoping this will teach him to not decide to have a late afternoon
food bender!

--
-Karrie, momma to Joey & Slater (ATB) & Bruce the Foster, Aunty to Checkers,
Domino & Crispin (wb)

Joey's dogster page: http://www.dogster.com/dogs/637473