[Dailydrool] Spencer update

Vikki Kiehl vkiehl at gmail.com
Thu Feb 18 21:04:53 PST 2010

I, too, am unbelievably behind on the DD.  Heck, I'm so far behind I think
I'm in first place!

Drool to all who need it, you are always in my mind & heart.

It's been not quite 2 months since Spencer bit me & was started on prozac.
He's doing REALLY well.  Yes, he's snarled at me 3 times, but no bites (he
used to be growly daily, numerous times).  One of those times was TOTALLY my
fault, I startled him.  I've been able to work with him more (thus being
behind on emails!) and have been able to get him to "go" when he starts to
get agitated at meal prep time.  When the tension starts to rise, I sing
something really inane, which helps all of us feel better.  Am teaching him
"stay" & "go"... so... I sing  "Should I stay or should I go"  & he's ready
for the "clicker game".  lol  He's playing with Hal daily, which our
behavior consultant thinks is the key to getting Spencer to put the abuse he
endured behind him.  Sara Sue usually tries to stop the play because she's
the "fun police" but now Spencer just ignores her & keeps playing (most of
the time).

I was asked to speak at the Vet Assistant program & took Spencer with me.
They were talking about behavior modification/clicker training & our
consultant is the instructor.  Spencer did GREAT!!  He didn't get stressed,
but I was prepared if he did.  We had the 4ft leash, clicker, muzzle & lotsa
treats!  We didn't need the muzzle, but I warned the class not to try to
touch him.  Spencer acted like the nicest biggest fuzziest smooshiest basset
in the world.  Boy can looks be deceiving! <g>
Anyway, I thought I'd let you know how it's going.  Thanks for listening...
it helps!
very big hugs!
vikki
spencer/cujo, sara sue, hal e bear