[Dailydrool] Rottweiler in HI

Laura Tancredi tancgirl1980 at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 23 14:54:03 PST 2010

Kimlynne,
I wanted to let you know that you are one of the bravest people I know.  When I worked at my previous animal hospital a client was walking her Lhasa mix (Dude) in the neighborhood and a loose Rottie went to attack Dude.  Bernie threw herself on top of Dude and curled up in a ball to protect him as the Rottie mauled her, particularly on her neck and back of her head.  I really have never been in a situation like this with my dogs and I don't know if I would think fast enough to do something like this.

Bernie is a psychiatry professor at Temple University and her and her partner have an adopted son would saw the attack.  He was very traumatized and she saw this was something that needed to be addressed.  She worked very hard with her son to not be afraid of large dogs and progressed when they adopted two bassets from Tri State Basset Rescue (Long but low!).  This was about 10 years ago.  Bernie is fine as is her son.  Both of her bassets have since passed (one to bloat and one to lymphoma) but the therapy they provided to her son will last his whole life.

Being a veterinarian I see alot of Rottweilers and they can be very sweet at home with their families but I don't trust them and muzzle all of them as I know the damage they can do.

I know that your finger will heal fine but we are especially sending you heart healing drool to help you overcome the post-traumatic stress associated with these events.  Know that you are in our thoughts.

Laura
Flash and Ryu