[Dailydrool] possible diabetes, Cushings, etc....another possibility

Pam Bankston berombe at centurytel.net
Sun Feb 28 13:29:05 PST 2010

I haven't posted in an eon...but recently noticed the discussion on
possible diabetes or Cushings in your basset.  There is another
possibility...Addison's disease....also a disease of the endocrine
system.  As per Washington State Univ. College of Veterinary Medicine:*
"Addison's disease (hypoadrenocorticism) is caused by a lower than
normal production of hormones, such as cortisol, by the adrenal glands.
The signs of Addison's disease may be severe and appear suddenly, or may
occur intermittently and vary in severity. Signs may include weakness,
depression, lack of appetite, vomiting, diarrhea, and occasionally
increased thirst (polydipsia) and increased urine production
(polyuria).  The history, physical examination, and initial laboratory
tests provide suspicion for Addison's disease, but a more specific test,
an ACTH challenge, should be performed to confirm the disease." *

There are three types of Addison's: primary, secondary & atypical.  My
Sebastian has atypical Addison's and the best type to have....the least
drugs.  I give him 5mg. of predinisone daily...and I have to pay close
attention to his life, basically....and what I mean by that.....stress
is a huge enemy of Addison's.  When guests stay at our house, or I take
a trip with the bassets or just about anything that is unusal in
Sebastian's daily life, I have to give him additional prednisone to
allow his body to produce enough cortisol during that stressful period.
I also have a blood panel done twice a year to check various levels,
including potassium, sodium, etc.  The atypical is the easiest to
treat....one drug....prednisone...and over a short period of time I got
it down to the lowest possible dosage (as prednisone, while a miracle
drug, is very nasty to the body over a long period of time.)  Sebastian
will be on prednisone for the remainder of his life.  It is critical to
have the ACTH response test administered to definitively diagnose
Addison's.  Sebastian was diagnosed in the summer of 2006.  The only
bumps along the way....was learning about the stress related
problems...such as having to urinate frequently and often could not wait
to be let outside.  I learned that those symptoms occurred when
Sebastian wasn't getting enough prednisone (almost always associated
with something unusual going on in our life...such as houseguests,
etc.)  I was told to give him a little extra prednisone during those
times.  That took care of that problem, as I learned to plan ahead.

Addison's, as far as my experience and several other Droolers whom I
consulted with at the time of Sebastian's first onset, is VERY
manageable and really doesn't affect our lives in a big way at all.  I
will say.....if Addison's is the ultimate diagnosis....most likely there
will be, following the medication plans for your basset, a BIG change in
the look, feel and quality of your basett's fur!  After being on the
prednisone for a while, Sebastian's fur...which was fairly average for a
big basset....straight, not tremendously thick, etc.....became
incredibly thick and massively curly!!!!  He reminded me of sheep before
shearing!  It was too weird!  Other Drooler's bassets with Addison's had
the same reaction.  Most vets think it's the prednisone...especially at
first.  After about a year or so, Sebastian's fur returned to its former
state.  Was pretty funny for a while, however!

FYI....John F. Kennedy & his sister Eunice Kennedy Shriver both had
Addison's disease.
Pam Bankston, owned & operated by Sebastian & Bogart in Wisconsin