[Dailydrool] Ginger

Jane Hay janewhay at gmail.com
Tue Jan 19 08:17:45 PST 2010

I wanted to take a minute to thank everyone who voted for our Ginger last
week. I was so surprised to see her anywhere near the top of the list with
so many beautiful bassets there with her. Lucy Magoo is a beautiful girl! I
would love to go to Las Vegas and bring her home with me. I can't wait to
hear when she goes to her forever home!

We don't know Ginger's story like we do the rest of our pack but we have
kind of figured out why she ended up in a shelter. She came to us to be
fostered from another foster home when she was about eighteen months
old after she had perpetrated her last bit of destruction there by chewing
through the family's computer cords! We thought that we'd be able to handle
her without too much problem since we were pretty well basset proofed at the
time (we thought!) because our Suzy was still a buppy so we figured that she
couldn't do too much damage. We went through the typical honeymoon stage and
she was just a doll! She was break your heart sweet and the DH decided that
he just couldn't give her up so she joined our pack permanently. Well, the
honeymoon ended and she has become our beloved Pita (as in pain in the
***!) who is really knocking herself out to reach OEBE status! I'm a quilter
and she has decided that my stuff is up for grabs if I lose my mind and
don't crate her when we're out of the house. She is the shredder from
h***! I can't tell you how many patterns I've lost! Believe me, I don't
leave them where she should be able to reach them but I think she and one of
the cats team up to get into my stuff! She has learned how to open the
bathroom cupboards and found where I stash the extra TP. It looked like it
had snowed in here the other day! I had a bag of about 30 spools of thread
up on a book shelf that she got yesterday and all I could think about was to
make sure she didn't have any thread wrapped around her tongue and now I'm
praying that she didn't swallow any! I can't even think about having to
replace all those spools right now. I've lost count of the number of dog
beds that she's shredded and we won't even begin to talk about the toys! Her
goal in life is to pull the squeaker out of anything that squeaks. I'm just
happy that she doesn't swallow the stuffing! It's been terribly cold here
lately and none of the divas want to play outside but Ginger has way more
energy than everyone else. So far Ginger has dumped a trash container in my
sewing room that had a billion little pieces of fabric in it along with a
plastic bag that she proceeded to shred all over the family room. She found
one stuffed toy that still had the stuffing in it so stayed busy chewing a
hole in it and scattering the stuffing throughout the house. She scored a
couple of waffles this morning too and it's pretty quiet right now so I need
to go see what she's into. Believe me, these things are only the very
minimum of the destructive path she weaves through our house. She turned
three last month so I'm hoping that she settles down sometime soon! Her
brains have *not* arrived yet.

On the other hand, this sixty pound pooch will climb into my lap and place
her soft sweet head under my chin and just sigh as though she's thanking me
for keeping her safe. The DH was the one who first fell in love with this
precocious wild child but she has become my wonderful Pita girl. I wouldn't
trade her for anything, even though she tries my patience to the absolute
limit sometimes. She has so much exuberance and joy in life that it's
impossible to get mad at her. She is truly our wild child in a basset suit
and we love her.

Jane & the Houndettes
Jersey the queen
Shadow the princess