[Dailydrool] What a beautiful Snowy Morning

Kelly Epley epilady1960 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 7 08:38:51 PST 2010

In the KC area we have received lots of snow since Christmas.  Last night
another 5 to 6 inches dropped on top pf the 12 to 14 inches that hasn't yet
melted.  I took my time getting ready, bundled up, started the car, braved
the cold to shovel the steps, drive way and clean off the car.  The whole
time I'm working, the 5 hounds and mini-doxie hold court at the window, to
make sure I don't go anywhere.  So at about 8:15, I put up the shovel up and
head in to get what I need for work.  Well, the hounds have organized and
decided to take me out on the porch and go for a run.  That's right, flat on
my butt and off they go.  By the time I get to my feet, the mini-doxie is
headed home.  He's decided it's to cold for a 12 pounder to be on the
loose.  One of the fosters Turbo, does what he always does, goes the
opposite direction of the pack.  He is trying to maneuver through drifts
taller than he is.  This is good for me because it is slowing him down.  I
catch him within a block.  One down four to go.  I turn around and head out
the other direction looking for a pack of four hounds.  I circle my block,
not a dog in site.  I circle again a block wider, not a dog in site.  The
third time is a charm.  There prancing down the middle of the street is my
boy Drake, head up, tail high, as if he were a champion taking a victory
lap.  Not to far behind Drake are Sally and Rolla the foster.  I get the car
stopped, get the back door opened, Drake and Sally jump in, but not Rolla.
She doesn't know the routine and begins dart past me.  I can't let her get
away.  I end up face planted in the street, with a slippery hold on her back
end.  After multiple attempts, I manage to get a good enough grip to get her
in the car.  Now just one more to find.  I continue on my loop, I don't see
Will, he is the newest foster.  I stop at home to unload my three, I get one
in the house and hear a howl, it's got to be Will.  Back in the car and back
on the loop in the direction of the howl.  Will is a small lemon basset that
I got Saturday, he doesn't contrast well with the snow.  I encounter a
couple trying to dig out of their drive, they saw three dogs headed down the
street, so I got the opposite direction.  As I already have them.  A couple
of blocks later, a policeman flags me down, wanting to know if I am looking
for dogs, I get an address from him and I'm off again.  When I get to the
address, it's familiar, it's the house where we cross the street to go to
the park.  Will had gotten stuck in a snow drift and the home owner dug him
out when he started to howl.  The other three dogs that were with him, just
left him there (Drake, Ssally and Rolla). It's 8:40, all hounds are safe and
warm at home.  Guess it's time to start my day.

--
Kelly Epley
Hounds Have Basset Rescue