[Dailydrool] about breeding and mounting

LaRock Hounds twobassetsonedoxie at gmail.com
Mon Jan 11 04:08:26 PST 2010

Nancy, I know nothing about breeding bassets so I will leave that part of
your question up to the experienced breeders of the group. I actually am
give time I have to rescue, which is not much time. Don't get me wrong. The
breeders on here do great things for rescue too--they are what is known as a
reputable breeder.

Anyhow, just because your basset mounts you and your other dog, it does not
mean he is trying to procreate. There are other reasons for mounting.  There
is dominance, pack order, play mounting, can be both a male and female
mounting either sex of dog (or human), etc.  If your basset tries to mount
you remember you are "top dog" in the pack so don't let him do it. My mini
doxie who is lowest in the pack was excited during play time with my other
dogs, jumped up in my chair and mounted my leg. I gave him just enough of a
nudge to get him off and told him NO firmly even though it was play. He is
still a puppy and I want to teach him young. I am by no means a behaviourist
either. I am not certain of the age of your basset either and to answer
someone else's question---dogs that are altered and un altered will mount as
it is not for procreation reasons. If it is bothersome or starts a bad fight
within your pack then seek out a behaviourst, dog trainer, or ask for your
vet's help, but preferably the first one. It is common for a little
disagreement when adding a new member to establish pack order, but remember
you are the "top dog."  I only know all of this from things I have read from
the drool in the past years.

--
DRool to all in need,
Dee,