[Dailydrool] Breeding bassets

Cblatz Cblatz at zoominternet.net
Wed Jan 13 07:35:27 PST 2010

I believe that all show people should rescue. (Sara)

I have been most of the posts regarding the Breeding of Bassets and have found them very interesting.  I have a number of thoughts.  First a little background.  Our first Basset, Maggie (now 10) was my husbands idea.  He found an ad in the paper, drove to a neighboring state, and brought home a sweet little 7 week old puppy from a farmer.  The whole Basset family was hanging around the front porch so in today's terms I suppose the farmer would be considered a back yard breeder.    Once I got over the drool, the shedding, and the housebreaking issues Maggie wasn't so bad.  Other than some anal gland issues and an occasional sensitive tummy Maggie has been very healthy.   And while she is slowing down Maggie still rules.

I also have 3 show Bassets,  2 females that are 5 1/2 years old and a idiot young boy (14 months) who is incredibly intelligent but still in that stage of constant motion and "look what I've gotten into now!!"

I don't even want to add up the money we have spent trying to get my Champion female bred.   All genetic tests were done and passed.  We tried frozen and fresh AIs.  We tried a natural cover.   Nothing.    Maggie has been spayed since a pup and now both show girls are spayed, too.    It certainly makes life easier with 2 intact males in the house.

I was interested in Sara's above quote.   I can understand why rescue organizations believe that show breeders should be involved in rescue, but why ALL show people.  There are a lot of show people who own dogs that don't breed.  Why should they be made to feel responsible for other dogs?      I guess in my mind that is the same as telling every human parent that they should be fostering (or adopting) all the thousands of at-risk children in state facilities.   I would hope that all show people would be responsible for the dogs they do buy even after they are done showing them.   That is a reasonable expectation.

I can understand Rescue operations expecting breeders to take back their own puppies but I would like to see rescue organizations do more education on responsible pet ownership, too.    It would be nice to see rescue organizations do more to help at-risk owners.   I've read where someone can't afford an operation for their dog so rescue takes the animal, fixes it, and rehomes the dog.  Wouldn't it be easier (and kinder) to help the owners with the bills that would allow them to keep their dog.    I'd like to see Rescue Organizations sponsor free Spay/ Neuter clinics for owners who can't afford the $200 plus to get the surgery on their own.

I am 3 or 4 days away from my 3rd Dachshund litter being born.   I understand the role of responsible breeding, especially show stock, and healthy, happy, temperamentally sound pets.    I also understand the realities of families who buy or adopt and animal and find their situations change and they can't keep the pup or dog.   I have a 10 year old beagle here for that very reason.
   What I don't understand is the correlation that some people make between show breeders/show dog owner vs the need for rescue.  It is not the show breeder 's fault that there are so many randomly bred dogs.  It is not the show breeders fault that uneducated irresponsible people read the Sunday paper dog ads or go to a pet shop.     Most people who buy from a show breeder are not going to want a randomly bred even if there are no show puppies available.   They'll wait for the right pup or import one from overseas.

Well this is getting way to long.

Cathy
Cathy Blatz
www.summerhilldachshundsandbassets.com