[Dailydrool] Break vs. sprain vs. tear

rosekh at aol.com rosekh at aol.com
Wed Jan 13 10:34:15 PST 2010

Annie has a tendency to trip over her own feet (I think her front feet are kind of pigeon-toed.)  She did this the other morning, and hurt her front right foot.  She didn't yelp, but she did lick her paw afterwards (I looked, and there's nothing stuck in her paw, no cut, etc.)  She is limping a little bit, but can put weight on it.  At times when she's just standing, she'll lift it a little, but when she lays down, she curls it under her and lays on top of it (the way she usually does.)  She lets me touch it and hasn't yelped at all...it feels like there might be some fluid in there, but I don't feel anything sharp or otherwise unusual.  She's still very interested in going for walks, and pulls me all over the place.

My question is, is there a way to know if this is something that just needs some time and rest (like a sprain), or if it's something that requires a visit to the vet?

Thanks,
Rose, Annie (I hate going to the vet) and Fred (I don't know how she's always hurting her legs...she never gets off the couch!)