[Dailydrool] Lizzie and marking

LaRock Hounds twobassetsonedoxie at gmail.com
Fri Jan 15 04:13:43 PST 2010

So sorry to hear of Lizzie going to the bridge in the middle of the night.
Thinking of you and we will light a candle for her tonight. I am not good
with words this early in the am, but just know our condolences are sincere.

As far as marking, is it only happening in the bedroom? We had that happen
once.  Mazzie somehow got the gate open before to the upstairs years ago and
went up and urinated right smack in the middle of our bed. Oh, I remember
how furious I was over that one. She has not been in our bedroom since and
problem solved. She won't do that to our furniture. We have other dogs and
it was her way of trying to either mark her territory that the husband and I
were hers or that she was the top dog. Has never been allowed back in the
bedroom again and we got a permanent baby gate.  Perhaps your basset is
asserting his role that he is part of the family and marking you guys as his
or he is challenging for his place in the  pack. If he does not sleep in
your room, then perhaps the issue would be to try to spend time with him in
a separate room prior to bed. He is young yet at 10 months old and as you
said from a rescue background. Just watch to make sure that he is not
marking elsewhere. I had a foster that was a male that was 2 and he marked
wherever he could pull his leg up. We could NEVER get him to stop. I do know
that he continued to do this once adopted. I suggested to his Mom that she
put on the (and I forget the name of it--blank mind in the morning) cloth
thing that covers the penis like a male diaper for urinary incontinence to
at least catch the urine while they worked on his marking. He was neutered
as your basset most likely is coming from rescue. This foster that I had was
heartworm positive and my first foster so he had to remain calm after his
treatments and have certain amount of times of rest too. After that, I put
in a preference for females. Now, I have 3 male dogs and 2 female dogs of my
own so it is not like I really have a preference and if your out their Hi
Tucker my first foster.

--
DRool to all in need,
Dee,