[Dailydrool] nail clipping

June Davis auntie_em98 at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 15 21:56:20 PST 2010

When we first got Cloud I then we could not do his nails, he would squirm, pull, whine, yelp all in one nail. I don't want to say I gave up, but I was very glad that he was a puppy and had to go to the vet often for shots, neuter etc. because he would stand there like nothing was going on for the vet. We even tried putting him up on a table like he was at the vets to make him think he was at the vets but, no dice. I was watching one of the dog shows (I think it might have been "It's me or the dog") on Animal Planet one day and there was an owner that was having the same problem. The trainer told the owner to get a "special" treat to use just for nail trimming and other grooming tasks but not to give it to the dog, hold on to it tight let the dog sniff and lick and to "try" to get the treat from the owner. While the dog is busy with the treat do whatever grooming you need to do, but when you are done give the dog what is left of the treat. I looked at my husband and asked if he was willing to give it a try as, we all know, Bassets drool and can be quite messy. He said we have soap and water so whet can it hurt. We gave it a try and lo and behold it worked. Now when it is nail clipping time out come the "special" treats. Most of the time Cloud thinks its time to go to bed and runs to the kennel and lays down, we use the same treats for nail clipping time as their bed time snack. Cloud still pulls a bit, but Stony had no clue his nails were being done, even with me having to clip 3 or 4 times to get the nail down. His nails were about a half an inch when he came to us, so I would only clip a little at a time so I didn't hit the blood vessel. We both need to wash our hands when nail clipping is finished, but that beats the cost of having 2 sets of nails done every few weeks at the vets.

June mom to Cloud and Stony

mom is the backyard gonna dry out any time soon, we want to plaaaaaaaaay.