[Dailydrool] former owner

Beverly Szaton bgszap2 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 16 08:10:29 PST 2010

The operative word is "former" owner.

I am not with Rescue, but I suspect it is not much different than a Vet,
where bad-mouthing is a real problem, since it cannot be controlled, you
often are unaware of it, and it can be harmful. Nevertheless, it happens,
and usually we find that the harm is negligible. Most people can tell the
difference between a rational complaint and one that is not, and this is
not.

You are not under any obligation to provide information about the dog once
it leaves the "owner". If you did not get an owner relinquishment form it's
too bad but not terrible. I am, I repeat, not with rescue and rescue people
can probably tell you better than I what to do.
But here is what I would tell her the next time she calls.

You have given her more information about the dog than you are required to
do. When she gave up the dog she also gave up all rights
to know where the dog is, who has it, how it is, or what it does, and you
have been more than patient and have stretched the rules as long and as much
as you can.
>From now on you will be unable to give out information about the dog. You
can reassure her the dog is well and being cared for, but owners who give up
dogs, no matter what the reason, give up ALL rights to the dog. Tell her it
has been nice dealing with her, you are glad you could help, and that this
will be the last time you will discuss the dog with her, you are sorry, but
those are the rules.

Then, if you have caller ID do not answer when she calls, or if she calls
stick to your guns! Tell her "I cannot discuss the dog with you any longer.
Those are the rules" (doesn't matter if they are or not-- they should be.)
Don't say anything else. To everything she says or asks, respond with "I
cannot discuss the dog with you any longer. Those are the rules." After a
few minutes, say
"This conversation is over. Thank you for calling, goodbye." AND HANG UP.

I don't know maybe I am waaay off base, but that's what I would do. But I
don't mind mind being a witch with a B. I have been one a long time.  Don't
let this woman run your life-- put your foot down right on top of her. She
really honestly does NOT have the right to know about the dog anyway.

MomPerson to Nigel, Llewis, Conley and Cooper