[Dailydrool] Abner's lump & coughing hound

Pam McQuade dpmcquade at verizon.net
Mon Jan 25 11:55:14 PST 2010

Today we had to take Abs to the vet so he could get some medicine put on his
chronically messy mouth. Abner won't let us do the dirty deed, so the vet
decided we could stop by twice a week and he would do it--thanks so much to
an understanding vet, even though Abner doesn't usually try to hurt him.
Twice weekly seems to be working, hurrah!

The vet told us that Abner's lump on his the sheathe of his penis is a
benign tumor. We may eventually have to have it taken off, but for the time
being it's OK. (Sigh of relief here.) Our only worry is that because he is
such a low rider, it may eventually get low enough to be rubbed raw.

For the hound who has a cough, I would ask your vet if it could be mitral
valve prolapse. Jane coughs unproductively in the morning, just about every
morning, from this--and I understand that is typical of the problem. We had
a sonogram done, to identify the problem. Because her trouble is rather
minor, we have not put her on medication. Sometimes she will also cough
later in the day too, but only once more, usually.

I hope, whatever it is, your hound is fine.
Pam, the Dashing Basset food slave