[Dailydrool] Glaucoma and Blindness

Marie28443 at aol.com Marie28443 at aol.com
Mon Jan 25 20:00:00 PST 2010

With all the posts about glaucoma and blindness  in Bassets, I thought it
might be time to repost the article I wrote for  Daphneyland's newsletter two
years ago from Scarlet's viewpoint.  This was  on the Daily Drool at that
time but, since there are so many new Droolers, I  thought it might be of
interest.  Scarlet is still doing fine and we are so  proud of  her.

GLAUCOMA  DIDN'T RUIN MY LIFE!!

My name is Scarlet and I am a beautiful eight year  old tri Basset.  Four
years ago, I woke up one morning with a terrible  headache and my right eye
was hurting.  I spent until noon in bed, didn't  want to go outside with my
two Basset brothers and had no appetite.  My  human parents knew something
was wrong and took me to the vet, who referred me  to a canine
ophthalmologist.  The diagnosis was glaucoma and he discussed  the treatment options.  My
right eye was injected and we all knew that I  would lose my vision in that
eye.   After a day recuperating, I  started to adjust to having vision in one
eye.  I had several rechecks with  the ophthalmologist and at the last one,
he told my parents that, if glaucoma  was going to show up in my other eye,
it would probably do so within two years  and he rechecked the pressure in
my good eyes every three months.

Twenty-one months after I lost the vision in my right eye, my left eye
started weeping and the headache came back.    I knew there was a  problem when
I was whisked to the ophthalmologist that evening.  My left  eye was
injected and now my vision was gone!

As we left the  ophthalmologist's office, he told my Mom and Dad a few
words of  wisdom:

If you treat Scarlet like an invalid, she will  become one.

Move a piece of furniture or two around  every month so she is challenged.

If you treat Scarlet  like an invalid, she will become one.

Let Scarlet go  out into the yard with her Basset brothers to play.

If  you treat Scarlet like an invalid, she will become one.

I think you get  the message...

I have learned that I don't like ceramic tile and would  not walk on it.
This presented a challenge since our water bowl was kept  in the kitchen and
I wouldn't go to it by myself.  The ophthalmologist said  that since Bassets
are scent hounds, I probably couldn't get a good scent trail  from the
ceramic tile.

About six months after my second eye was  injected, we moved to another
state.  I spent three nights in motels and  sniffed out every inch of the motel
rooms.  When we arrived at my new home,  I was presented with challenges
that I never anticipated.  I have to go up  and down stairs to get into the
yard.  Last winter, I "felt and smelled"  snow for the first time -  and look
forward to it arriving  soon.   I've learned the scent of deer and rabbits
and know when the  bunnies are running across my fenced yard.   I can walk
through my  house just as good as any Basset with sight, get into my favorite
chair and up  on the sofa.  I can smell my food being prepared and
immediately head to  the spot where my dish will be placed.  My housemate, Megan
Mariah, who  joined our family two years ago is from Daphneyland and she brought
a treasure  chest of experience with her.  From the day she arrived, Megan
sensed I did  not have vision and she keeps a watchful eye on me to make
sure I don't get into  trouble.

Please don't feel sorry for me.  My life is full and I can  do almost
anything a sighted Basset can do.  My hearing and sense of smell  have gotten
sharper.  If you ever have to deal with glaucoma and a Basset,  I have one
piece of advice, run don't walk to a vet who is familiar with canine  glaucoma
or preferably a canine ophthalmologist.  With proper treatment,  you'll have
a Basset who can do a lot more for itself than humans think - we  need you
to put our drops in our eyes, fix our food, keep our water dish full  and
give us love and belly rubs.  But please, let us do as much as we can  for
ourselves - a blind Basset won't be an invalid unless you make them  one.

This is dedicated my Basset brothers, Beauregard and Rhett, who have  both
gone To The Bridge.  They were my eyes and companions until I adjusted  to
losing my vision.  To them and Megan I will be forever  grateful.