[Dailydrool] bees/yellowjackets

kr1204 at aol.com kr1204 at aol.com
Thu Jul 15 15:49:14 PDT 2010

Funny this should come up as when the guys came to install my satellite dish they pointed out a HUGE hornet nest on the front of my house by the roof. So I have been researching and yellowjackets, wasps and hornets are the same critters basically, they can sting multiple times as that is how they kill their prey. (other bugs). Bees have a hairy body and get to sting once and die. Exterminators say you can leave the nest alone and remove it in winter after they are all dead but since people and dogs walk by the front of the house and apparently wasps/hornets are not real sharp about what might be a threat I have contacted a local company who will come out at night when most of the hornets are in the nest and hit it with the pesticide and then return the following night to eliminate the stragglers and take down the nest. I will feel better as my bassets snap at the big carpenter bees that show up each spring. Oh and when they attack, the whole nest comes pouring out just like on the cartoons. The exterminator said they wear running shoes and advise the home owner not to come out and watch unless you want to run too!
Kathy with Crackers, Loki and Jordan