[Dailydrool] Neighborhood "friends" and question on yeast stuff on skin

jacanny at aol.com jacanny at aol.com
Fri Jul 2 12:48:46 PDT 2010

Squirrels:  We have 2 types of squirrels by the house, regular gray squirrels and Fox squirrels.  Gallagher loves the fox ones because they are slower and run on the ground more for a good chase.  When we walk the neighborhood, he checks every lot to make sure there are no squirrels.  He seems to believe that if you stare at a tree long enough a squirrel will appear.  He also loves a good deer chase. He doesn't have much of a chance to catch them, on a retractable leash with the Dad on the other end, but he tries.  As he sneaks up on them, MacKenzie waddles along (at great speed for a curvy girl), arooing all the way.  "Yooo Hooo, Mr. Squirrel..... Do you have a moment???"
Toads:  The other night there was a toad in the driveway.  Gallagher and MacKenzie had it surrounded.  They sniffed and stared.  When the toad hopped, they hopped.  I wished I'd video taped it.  The curvy girl hopping was hilarious.  "Oh, this is fun, do it again!"
Birds:  Then yesterday a baby bird was on the road.  Someone cut down the branches that held the nest and he walked there.  Gallagher & MacKenzie ran up and sniffed, but didn't touch.  Of course the mama bird was squawking at them the whole time.  When the baby hopped into the bushes, they decided to move on with their walk.  I guess baby bird hopping is not as much fun as toad hopping.
Gators:  As we went on our evening stroll, the big gator crossed the street.  Of course we were a safe distance away, with dogs on leashes.  They were distracted by the birds.
Snakes:  I'd heard we had a lot of snakes in the area, but until today had not actually seen one.  There it was in the driveway, heading towards the OPEN garage.  Then, it actually went into the garage.  Ewwwwwww.   MacKenzie was on the other side of the fence, arooing like crazy.  "Oh, I just want to play with him.  I can slither....  I can, I can".   He just wasn't interested in playing with her..... the nerve.  After convincing MacKenzie to come in, we were able to shoo him away into the woods.  Mind you, we didn't get close.  MacKenzie is now safely ensconced on HER leather sofa, wrapped up in the special velvet blankie that I bought for her (keeps the sofa cleaner).

Yeast question:  All 3 bassets have developed the stinky yeast thing on their necks.  MacKenzie being curvier than the other two has it the worst.  I'm removing their collars when not on walks, and trying to keep them dry.  What can I do - - her chest is almost bare of fur.