[Dailydrool] Escaping Hounds & Comfortis

Swartz foxybear at cox.net
Wed Jul 7 15:34:33 PDT 2010

I had to put up a electric fence about 3 inches off the ground for Comanche ATB, 3 inches off the ground so that as he would start to dig out he would hit the fence with his nose.  He would dig out to go patrol the neighborhood.   He always came back but since he would cut across the cow pasture the rancher thought that he was chasing his cattle and threatened to shoot him.  We tried everything tht we could think of to keep him inside the fence, but he would find away to get out...His nickname was Houdini. We first tried the regular pulsating doggie electric fence, but he would time the pulses and on the off pulse pull down the fencing and proceed to dig out.  We then went to a standard (always electricity flowing) cattle electric fence, he soon learned how to unplug it by watching us do it to mow the yard.  So finally we had to string the cord into the house to plug it in.  Basset are very stubborn and sometimes are too smart for their own good.

Thanks to all for the drool and well wishes for the DH.  He is doing pretty well, but is still stiff, sore and very unhappy that he has been told to stay home to rest & heal for the next 7-10 days.  At that time the docs will re-exam him to make sure that there isn't  any hairline fractures to his spine and skull and no neuro damage.

Comfortis: The boys are on this medication and have been for over a year now, and other than Ruger not wanting to take it the easy way so I have to break it into smaller peices to shove down his throat they have not had any problems with it. However when I gave the Heartworm med Iverhart and the Comfortis on the same day it upset one of their tummies...So now I give them a couple days apart and ensure that it is on a full stomach and so far I haven't had any further problems with it.  The boys were on Advantix but doc changed them to Comfortis because he said that he was noticing some of his other patients were starting to have flea issues on it.  Per our vet he said that every so often (5-7 years) the fleas seem to adapt and overcome the current/popular flea meds and have to be changed.  the previous 2 bassets (Wolfgang ATB and Storm ATB) were on Frontline and then switched to Advantix for this reason.

From: Ruger
To: Commander-in-chief of the Pacific Basset Feet Bo,
As Director of ASTT I think that it is only fitting that Anti-Squirrel Terrorism Teams should fall within the Pacific Basset Feet and under the direction of Nelly Director of Boneland Security.  We have many fine warriors in the fight against squirrel terrorism, and as soon as my Secretary gets off her vacation time we will publish a list of agents. Sir we are awaiting your direction and follow-on orders.

Ruger Director of Anti-Squirrel Terrorism Team
AST Team Leader FL Gulf Coast Region

Drool to all in need
Secretary to Ruger, Director of Anti-Squirrel Terrorism  Team
And Chief Cook, and Maid to the Bad A** Basset Brothers
Colt & Ruger