[Dailydrool] Back trouble

Elizabeth Lindsey erlindsey at comcast.net
Thu Jul 8 10:48:19 PDT 2010

> <<Was it a myelogram that Abner had, Pam?>>
>
> I looked this up online and evidently myelograms have been largely
> replaced
> by MRIs. Looking back at the vet records, that seems to be what he
> had.
> Pam

Our late Jane Basset's last ruptured disk surgery was about ten years
ago, so I guess the diagnostic procedures would have changed during
that time. I sure hope they would've changed at any rate, though it
sounds if the change has gone from a somewhat affordable kind of x-
ray to a much more expensive kind. Ah, well. When does medical
progress ever come cheap?

Our Elsinore is eight or nine, and young Charlie is, physically, four-
and-a-half (in his heart, he's still about two). I feel so grateful
for having gotten this far into their lives without any back problems
cropping up. We're doing everything we can to prevent back problems,
but sometimes that's not enough. Genetics may defeat us in the end
(structurally, both are poor specimens of the breed), but it'd be
lovely to get them safely through their lives without ever needing
MRIs of and surgeries on their spines.

Elizabeth