[Dailydrool] Abandoned Bassets and Bloodhound

Maura DeYong mauradeyong at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 17 08:56:02 PDT 2010

I was surprised to watch the video of the Ohio woman who left her dogs at the dog park because she could no longer take care of them. Not so much of her leaving them in the dog park, which is better than on the side of the road, but the fact that there was a $25 fee per animal if left at animal control/shelter.
Where I live in Florida, our humane society keeps crates outside after hours so people can leave their dogs there if they can't take care of them/no longer want them. No questions asked. They are also our animal control, so it keeps dogs from being dumped on the street. There is no fee for turning in a dog/cat. This is the humane society, not a no-kill shelter, so I am sure they are putting down some of the dogs/cats that come to their facility. But, I think they do try to get most of them adopted.
If there was a fee for turning over a dog/cat, we would have animals running around all over the place. No one here is going to pay a fee to turn in an animal. The humane society takes them to keep them off of the street, and saves money/time with staff trying to pick them up off the street. If they are brought to the facility, then the animals are safer.
We have one other true shelter that is a no-kill private facility, but sadly it is always full and they have to turn animals away.
Leaving the dogs at the dog park wasn't the best choice, but considering there is a fee for turning in animals, I blame animal control in this situation as well.
Maura