[Dailydrool] CCL rupture (ACL in humans)

Laura Tancredi tancgirl1980 at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 23 18:28:45 PDT 2010

Hi Kathy
Sorry to hear that Gus may have ruptured is CCL (cranial cruciate ligament).  There are complete and partial ruptures of the ligament.  Although surgical repair is ideal it is not always finacially feasible.  Instead of the wheelchair I would go for strict cage rest and anti-inflammatories.  I would talk to your doctor about it and then can discuss options other than surgery.

Basically the surgery would stabilize the knee as that is what the CCL does.  The ligament itself is not able to be repaired so the surgery just replaces the job of the ligament.  If surgery isn't done then the knee will just not be as stable and there will most likely be arthritis that will form in that joint as some point in time.

Here's a link with more information and some surgical pictures as a heads up for those who are squeamish: http://www.acvs.org/AnimalOwners/HealthConditions/SmallAnimalTopics/CranialCruciateLigamentRupture/

Hope this information helps.

Laura
Flash
and Ryu