[Dailydrool] Intact Females

Mary Lee Trnka mltrnka at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 26 14:47:58 PDT 2010

I experienced another reason to neuter an intact female.

The first dog I owned as an adult was a little cockapoo who came to us because her former owners "did not have time for her anymore".  I knew she wasn't spayed, but didn't realize fully what that meant.  We had dogs when I was a child, but never females.  And the males were never neutered.  I just figured she was probably too old at 7 to still have heat cycles - WRONG!

Still, I put off getting her surgury for a number of years.  Her "seasons" didn't seem very disruptive.  Then one day when she was in season she got very sick very fast.  In a couple hours she went from normal activity to totally lethargic.  I picked her up and her entire body was hot to the touch.  We rushed off the the vet, who informed me that she probably had a uterine infection - her cervix was wide open, so bacteria had easy access.  She had to have an emergency spay ($$$).  While they were in there, they discovered she had tumors on her uterus and cysts on her ovaries.  My little 15 pound dog was in surgery an hour and a half.

I will never put another dog at risk like that.