[Dailydrool] Today's calendar girl - July 31st

Pam Farris savethebassets at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 31 05:45:42 PDT 2010

Today's Daily Drool calendar girl is Hannah, a basset/border collie mix, who is my heart and life.  Today being my birthday, each moment I have with her is the best present I could receive,  so we celebrate her gotcha day together.  She is at least 16 and I have had her in my life for 13 years.  Hannah adopted me at our farm in Texas and has been with me through the darkest days of my life - always quietly loving me and supporting me - her long fur drying my tears and her kisses reassuring me that life goes on.  Hannah inspired me to do rescue work and tolerates the every changing number of bassets as they move in and out of my house.

Everyone that has met Hannah would take her in a minute.  If I could have cloned her and her personality I would be a rich woman, well really I am already a rich woman because of what she brings to my life.  She has been fortunate to have a healthy life.  Sadly she has begun to have issues, the latest being vestibular disease due to advanced age.  Thankfully she is no longer flat on her back but is able to walk and stand - she just looks like a drunk sailor - but I'll take that and I think all the chicken breast I have been feeding her makes it worth her while too :-)  People who see her have a hard time believing that she is 16.  I credit her young looks to keeping her at a good weight, mild exercise, good nutrition and not "over vetting" her.  She is a beautiful girl with a beautiful soul.

Have a wonderful day and hug your hounds.
Pam Farris
Basset Rescue of Florida, Inc.
www.BassetRescueFlorida.com