[Dailydrool] Homes with stairs...

Esther Strom esthermstrom at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 31 20:16:00 PDT 2010

Vikki,
Way back when I first adopted Waldo, we lived in a 3rd floor walkup apartment.
He did the stairs four times a day, and for the year and a half we lived there
he never had a problem. I've never been certain, though, that the strain didn't
contribute to the back problems he had later in life (which eventually required
emergency surgery.)

This is obviously my own experience and opinion, but I would never allow a
basset of mine to do more than a handful of stairs on a regular basis, having
gone through what I did with Waldo's surgery and post-operative care. That said,
there are ways you can handle things if you own both levels, as you would in
this house. You can gate off the stairs so the dogs are not allowed up at all,
or (if they are small enough and you're strong enough) you can carry them up and
down.

I'm sure there are people who have had different experiences than I did with
stairs, so if you really want this house you can make it work.

Good luck!

Esther, Basil, and Waldo ATB