[Dailydrool] Gators!!

jacanny at aol.com jacanny at aol.com
Tue Jun 15 14:32:47 PDT 2010

The other day I mentioned Gallagher's tracking abilities (and his tendency to trip on his ears).  Well today we had some excitement.  We live very close to the Cape Fear River and have a few alligators in the area.  We're very careful to keep the dogs on leash  and never let them near their habitats.  We fenced in our yard (to the ground) to keep them out.  Anyway, it's been REALLY hot (100 degrees in Wilmington) and the gators are moving.  Today we took the dogs to the beach near the house.  We do this whenever there is low tide.  We let them run free (with VERY close) supervision.  MacKenzie decided she was a water dog and was almost swimming.  She loves water.  The other two, not so much.  I turned around and there was the neighborhood gator - he's about 4 to 5 feet long - not big, but not small either.  Unfortunately, Gallagher saw him at the same time and took off.  I grabbed the two girls and my husband ran after him.  Thankfully the gator was more afraid of us and Gallagher chased him into the water.  My heart about stopped!  We now refer to him as Galligator.  Leashes were immediately placed on all three.  Then he saw a bird and the new chase began......  This sure isn't Connecticut!

Julie