[Dailydrool] enticing a basset to eat

Reed and Becky Pomeroy rebec at execpc.com
Tue Jun 1 12:58:01 PDT 2010

It's been a LOOOOOOOONG time since I have had a basset refuse to eat, so
I'm hoping that in the meantime someone has come up with the magic
answer.

Our dear Oliver stopped eating with Miss
Purple came in season.  This is normal.  the other boys stopped
also.  However, after a few days when she was past her prime
everybody started up eating again as usual, except Oliver.  He is
still pining over his lady-love, despite the fact that she tries to remove
his face if he so much as makes eyes at her.  He now looks like a
walking skeleton.  We've got to do something before he makes himself
sick.  So far his eyes remain bright, his color is pink and he has
the vigor to fence-fight with his brother.

Anyway, when the
usual temptation of canned food did not interest Oliver, we decided to
bring him upstairs from the kennel to temporary housedog status so we
could more easily monitor him and feed him treats.  He goes ga-ga and
does the happy dance with the others at mealtime, but ignores his food
when served.  He will take cookies when given by hand (NOT if put in
his bowl), so he gets lots of those.  He ate a little rice over the
weekend and this morning he ate half a package of macaroni and
cheese.  I will look for a meat roll for him (the Rollover type) -
there may be a roll or two buried in the freezer.  If he won't eat
that, does anyone have any great ideas?  Besides having him
tutored.

crazy basset lady
MAKE DROOL NOT WAR

Please take time to visit these websites:
Rebec Bassets at
www.rebecbassets.com
Basset Buddies Rescue, Inc. at
www.bbrescue.org