[Dailydrool] question for a friend- separation anxiety?

kacy green greenlikethecolor at gmail.com
Wed Jun 2 10:32:36 PDT 2010

A good friend of mine recently adopted a female basset/staffie mix puppy.
They have been having some issues with separation anxiety and I told her I'd
try to get some answers from my knowledgeable droolers.

Jessica works from home so she spends a lot of time with the puppy Lucca,
aka Lulu. Lulu has become very attached to Jessica. When Jessica and her
husband Joe are home together, Lulu is fine, but still prefers Jessica over
Joe. However, when Jessica leaves and Lulu is home alone with Joe, she pouts
and cries by the door and won't go near Joe. It isn't so much that she seems
afraid of Joe, but more likely that she doesn't want to be without Jessica
and thinks Jessica isn't coming back.

I encouraged some type of one-on-one special time, like playing or walks,
between Joe and Lulu to help strengthen or even create a bond;but I
am curious as to what else you guys would suggest. I have read a lot about
separation anxiety here on the drool, but it usually has to do with a dog
who doesnt want to be left home alone. This is a dog who isn't being left
alone, but is just really attached to only one of the two owners. Any
suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks and drool to all in need,
Kacy with Cow and Ru