[Dailydrool] Talking tails

Sally King sally.king at nqe.com
Tue Jun 8 02:09:11 PDT 2010

At some point in his life before I knew him, Rolph's tail was broken. This means he can't hold it 'proud' and there is no circle at the top. However, this tail is one of the most expressive parts of him.

Tail held up as high as he can, maybe with a slight winscreen wipe = I'm on a walk or other adventure and happy.

Tail held rigid, in a stright line with his spine = I am about to do something naughty, or have found something I ought not to have. We call this his "naughty tail". It is often the first clue that he is concealing something like eyeglasses, socks, hankies, an inhaler, Wii control, stolen fruit or bead etc, which he is planning to eat/destroy.

Tail moving very slowly side to side angled down, but in a straight line = I have something and you're not taking it from me. The more likely he thinks it is I am going to take it, the wider the sweep (although this is never really wide) and it can be accompanied by a low growl.

Tail going round like a helicopter = I can see you have food and I think you may be giving it to me (often accompanied by the happy dance).

Clara has a perfect tail and a happy windscreen wiper.

Sally, with Rolph and Clara, UK