[Dailydrool] coats and rescues

Susan Kitz smkitz at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 9 23:31:22 PDT 2010

Buttercup loses some of her coat in tufts.  Mostly on her back end.  She loses a lot a fur per day.  It really shows up when you stroke her back, you see all the white hairs against her black markings.  Brushing does not seem to get enough out.  I have been gazing at the furminator wistfully.  Maybe next payday  She sure doesn't show signs of slowing down.  She also has a rotary tail wag when very happy or trying to entice someone to come over to her loveseat and pet her.  For some reason she does not like children, though not one has harmed her, she will really move out on walks if one is behind her or, horrors, a baby stroller is behind us.  On the subject of rescues.   I am certainly no authority but our Honey is a delight and has always been good with kids but our  latest foster is a gem.  We have no small children in our home at this point but I noticed Honey Bun would pull slightly toward children when she saw them.  Then we had 2 families come to visit her.  She was wonderful with children.  The second family in particular seemed to catch her fancy.  When the 5 yr old would giggle she would give her a kiss and she just melted into the 11 yr boy's arms.  She did her best to give everyone a good dose of basset love and seemd very disappointed when they left without her, like she knew why these people had come.  Well, Sat she will go to the second family.  I see her becoming the perfect spoiled basset because although she is submissive I noticed she tends to get  what she wants. I will miss her when she goes.  I know she is just beginning to show all of her personality and she is sure to be a shing star.  Sweet, laid back Memphis is doing well in his new home.  He is loved by his people and followed about by his entourage of mini-doxies, one who burrows as close to him as possible.   He is a gentleman of 8, with a roguish glint in his eye.  Many rescued dogs have issues.  My friend has a corgi who demands all her patience, but many dogs are coming into rescue these days not because of misbehavior or incredibly ignorant owners but due to the econmy, forclosures etc.   They have been loved and cared for and respond well to their new family.  This said, I also think everyone should have at least one basset puppy to be raised by, it is an experieced not to be missed.