[Dailydrool] Sticking my nose in

julie h jules56pt at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 10 19:41:12 PDT 2010

I am going to stick my nose into the puppies vs rescues with kids.  We have done both.  Our first two bassets were our kids for three years before Josh was born.  And then we had the audacity to have another kid.  The bassets were wonderful to the boys.  We even lost our minds and had another kid while we had those two sweet girls.  We had never heard of rescue.  We got Sherlock after Daisy died.  Anothr puppy and this one was a puppy mill boy for sure.  Physically a mess but a wonderful pet.  THEN we got SUNNY.  She was not a nice basset.  She hated a lot of things.  Mostly people and other dogs.  She learned to get along with us and we got along with her.  Josh was her person.  They were both grouchy.  They both liked to have their own way.  Sunny was a rescue.  Our first experience was not positive on a daily basis.  But, We lived together in relative peace for twelve years.  Sunny had been abused.  The only person she really couldn't stand was me so I kept my distance.  We had three small children and Sunny.  We managed.  I would have preferred a mild mannered basset.  Sunny was what we got.  If we had taken her back they would have put her to sleep.  I couldn't do that.  Not even to the grouchiest basset on earth.

All of the basset since Sunny have been rescues.  I can't figure out why they were thown away.  Ninja has delusions of being queen issues but other than that she is a wonderful, beautiful girl.  Marley has delusions of competing with Oscar the Grouch for grouchiness but is such a daddy's girl.  Maggie is just Maggie, sort a a really large beanie baby, sweet like basset candy.  And Shelby, whose person died and she had to live with strange people and other dogs, made the adjustment at 13 like it was no big deal.  She was fat and very short and full of bassitude.  We would have missed so much if we had not taken her in.  It is so sad to see her wandering around.  It is getting better.  Not as much crying today.

I love puppies.  But after watching three of them since Christmas, I prefer the more mature specimens.  They are all lovely.  Just don't count rescue bassets out when there are kids.

Julie with the amazing, wonderful, scruncy Ninja, Marley, Maggie and Shelby with two flighty catdogs