[Dailydrool] Sleeping Hounds & Helping the Rescues

Swartz foxybear at cox.net
Sat Jun 12 08:00:33 PDT 2010

Rebecca, & Morse
If I rememeber correctly dogs normal sleep on average of 16 hours a day. Some things that might cause them to sleep more is low thyroid, low blood suger, boredom and depression (I know that i will sleep when I get depressed about something).  My Storm ATB used to sleep a lot more then the rest of the pack. He was the sterotypical basset hound/porch dog. Year's later when we started running senior blood profiles on him we found out that his thyroid levels were on the very low side of normal. My vet gave him a very low dose of hypothyroid med (brain fart, can't remember the name) and he perked right up.  We never thought to tell the vet about the sleeping before since from the time we got him as a buppy he just seemed like a lazy hound and other than that was a perfectly healthy boy.

It is a good morning here.  The boys let me sleep in  & they are now lounging in the yard while the temps & humidity are still tolerable. I am sitting here reading my Daily Drool with a cup of Moondoggie coffee...Life does not suck.  I had a thought as to how to help the rescues out.  I have decided that I am going to request my friends and family to donate to their local basset rescue in our name instead of buying us Christmas gifts.  The DH and I already have a house full of stuff plus a storage shed, since we both had full houses before we got married, so there isn't a lot that we need as far as Christmas gifts. Also for the majority of the gifts that I buy for family and friends it will be stuff from the basset rescues.  Most of my friends are animal/dog lovers and my parents are also owned by a basset so they are easy (any basset crap they get and they are happy as a basset rolling in deer or horse pooh)  Anyway I thought that if all of us droolers bought at least one Christmas gift from a rescue and asked one family or friend to donate to a rescue instead of buying a gift then this would help a lot of the rescues out.  Especially around Christmas when I imagine that their donation levels drop significantly.  Just a thought and I hope that a lot of you droolers will do this to help the rescues help the homeless houndies.

Hope that everyone has a wonderful weekend!

Michele Momma to the Bad A**  Basset Brothers
Colt "When do I get to tell Santa what I want for Christmas"
Ruger "Hey we have a birthday coming up before Christmas!!!!"

Colt:  http://www.dogster.com/dogs/1134867
Ruger:    http://www.dogster.com/dogs/1134878