[Dailydrool] Tough Day at the Dog Park

Linda H dirtherm2 at hotmail.com
Sun Jun 13 19:55:41 PDT 2010

Most days at the dog park are fun. Occasionally, a tussle will start. We break it up, and make the guilty parties cool off. Then play resumes.

Today, there must have been something in the air. Or the dogs were grouchy because of the heat and humidity.

Frequently, when a dog is coming into the "big dog" side, the dogs already in there will form a "welcoming party" at the gate. This makes it a bit difficult for the new dog and owner to get in. So, we try and discourage this behavior, pull the dogs off the gate so the new guy can come in, and move into the open. Everyone sniffs hello, and they are off to play.

Today, a woman and child were trying to bring in a very scared young golden retriever. The welcoming committee was in a bad mood. They immediately cornered the poor dog, and it started getting ugly. We all grabbed dogs and pulled them off the pup. She cowered under a bench. We could not keep the dogs off of her. So I grabbed her, picked her up, and carried her back to the safety of beyond the fence. As thanks, she peed on me. Oh well. I am washable. I suggested to the owner that she bring the dog back when there are only one or two dogs in there, not a whole grumpy pack. The dog and people left.

Next a huge German Shepherd showed up. He is a regular. But the committee, again, went for him. I had to  keep getting between him and a humongeous mastiff, and another trouble maker. Finally, we got all of the dogs calmed down, and an owner took her trouble maker out of the park. Normally a good dog. Not today.

Somewhere in all this, I got bit. Not a bad bite. No skin broken. Just a good bruise.

You might wonder where Dewey was when all this was going on. He is no fool, not that dog! He was way out in the middle of the play area, staying far away from all the ugly stuff. He normally is the referee when a tussle breaks out. Or a cheerleader. I am not sure which! He stands back and barks at them. But keeps his distance. Smart boy.

We left shortly after that. I had had enough for one day. Take your grumpy's home, folks.

Linda and Dewey

Herman House
Original, handcrafted, jewelry
http://www.etsy.com/shop/dirtherm