[Dailydrool] Dogs and the heat

Nancy Candray speedsterbasset at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 15 19:28:22 PDT 2010

About a year ago one of my rescue buddies told me she goes on hikes with her friend and her friend's dog. They always come prepared with water but on one of those hikes somehow ran out. The dog overheated half way down. They miraculously managed to get to the car and tried to cool the dog down while on the way to the ER vet. Thankful her dog survived but a tip that the ER vet gave them is that when a dog is overheated place a cool (NOT cold) compress on their belly. That is where the internal organs are located so this is the place that needs to cool. He said not to place ice or a cold compress as the sudden change of temp will cause shock. Now I am not a vet or vet tech so I don't if this is true or not but it is something that made sense to me and I kept it in my memory for a just-in-case. Some of you have a wealth of knowledge and I would love to hear if this is true or can be true.

To make this basset related Speedy L-O-V-E-S hot weather. He was raised near where we live now and 90-95 degrees is not uncommon. Like me he thinks 70 is just too plain cold (I also grew up in this area so I like it hot too) I have yet hear a complaint from him on a 82 degree day. Now don't get your tails in a twist, if its too hot for me then its too hot for Speedy and I do get him in or at least make sure he goes into the shade. We also have a "Healthy Pet water system" that we got for Petsmart. It has a cylinder that you can place a filter in, but instead of a filter we load it with ice and as the day gets hotter the ice cools the water so even after a 9 hour day the water remains cool.

Drool to all in need

Nancy momslabe to
Speedy Speed Demon of the West OEBE
Ted (ATB)