[Dailydrool] cold vs cool

Beverly Szaton bgszap2 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 15 22:03:08 PDT 2010

Yes it is true that you do not want to put real cold water on an overheated
dog. In the tubs we start with body temp and work down to very cool. In the
field, get the spots cooled where there is the most skin and the least fur:
belly, groin (look for BIG BLOOD VESSELS) inside of ear flaps, armpits,
under the tail-- wet down the spinal column and the top of the head (brain)
then get the dog in a/c or a fan. Carry the dog if you have to, or wait in
the shade for help. Probably in the field you could carry a bottle of
isopropyl alcohol if you are going to be someplace where help is far away--
it evaporates faster so cools faster, but cool water is still your best bet.
At least that is what we were taught. And if you have room in your fanny
pack or whatever you carry your baggies and water and stuff in, stick a
thermometer. Then, if you have any suspicion that your dog is overheating,
you can check.
WARNING:
Many of the nice new LED thermometers beep when they reach the highest temp.
The first time I used one on Mitchell (ATB) he had the worst time trying to
turn around to see why his butt was beeping. His temp was normal and it was
a good thing because I was laughing too hard to do much if it hadn't been.

MomPerson to Nigel, Llewis, Conley (oh no youse not usin dat fing on ME
liddel heiney) and Cooper