[Dailydrool] Clover's cancer

Opal-Deitering, Gaylene gaylene at umich.edu
Thu Jun 17 08:22:05 PDT 2010

Since I have a moment to drop a line, I should tell you all that about a month after Clover had her teeth cleaned/pulled, she was diagnosed with bone cancer in her face.  While it is not a real surprise that the growth was not strictly because of a bad tooth, I am sad to report that the growth continues to get larger.  The vet says that it is not a particularly painful kind of cancer, so there was no rush to make a decision, but there is nothing much we can do about it.  Just manage the inevitable infections and continue to keep her comfortable until she tells us she is no longer interested in this life.  Her energy is very low, but she still seems pretty happy.  I have to be creative with ways to get her to take her pills and to convince her to eat.  She loves bread, and gets about 8 pieces a day, (with pills in some of it, but don't tell her!) which settles her stomach enough that she will eat pretty well.  She is getting kind of skinny, but she eats enough to sustain life and she is still Bright, Alert, and Responsive, tail wagging and wanting to go for short walks.  Sleeps a lot, but then she is 14!  That is 98 in Dog years.  She has been having a couple of pretty good days, and has eaten well both days.  She had a couple of bad days last week when the cancer went through a growth spurt.  I thought that we were going to have to make the decision for her then.  I think we are counting weeks rather than months with her.
When one offers their heart to another, one accepts the risk that their heart will be broken.  We love her and will make the choice for her when it is necessary.  We owe her that much, and so much more...

Healing drool to all who have lost their own hound or who are facing difficulty!  I am lurking and reading only 1 out of 5, so don't know what is up to send wishes and condolences to each individually.

Gaylene Opal-Deitering
My passions do not replace my relationship with God, but are instead a reflection of it!