[Dailydrool] Our Crappy Morning Walk

Marilyn Briggs marbriggs at att.net
Mon Jun 21 07:55:00 PDT 2010

It has finally gotten warm here in Utah--80’s. I take 3 of the dogs to Dimple
Dell Gully, which is horse trails with sagebrush, scrub oak and 2 ft. tall grasses.
There are lots of joggers, walkers and other dogs now the weather is nice.

We know almost all the dogs we see, and the boys behave quite well if the other
dogs behave. When we see any dog, I pull them off trail and we wait until the dog goes
by. Past experience with tangled leashes has resulted in this manuever.

They are particularly crazy (and I mean that literally) about a blue-eye husky named Stella.
Wowza. We see Stella coming--the crowd goes wild. Pull them off to the side. Standing in
tall, damp grass. All three of them make a gigantic lunge toward the dancing,
opera singing Stella. I am usually pretty good at holding them back but I go
to my knees. Of course, they take advantage of that with another giant
lunge. Now, I am on my stomach in the grass, looking like I just slid into third
base. I swear they pulled me another couple inches after that.

Stella has been dragged past us, so thankfully her owner does not see me. She
may have heard me saying a few choice words, but that is normal.

Then, I smell something. I had been using a training treat bag to carry full poop
baqs, but it fell off my belt several walks back (too heavy, apparently) and I lost it.
I had tied a full, fragrant poop bag to Freddie’s flexi handle. The bag split open
when I fell. My hand is fully immersed in dog poop, as are both flexi lead handles
in that hand. Since walking 3 dogs requires switching of the handles from hand to hand, I
soon have two hands covered in dog crap, and all the leash handles.

We are quite a ways from the car. By the time we got back, the crap had dried
sufficiently that I don’t feel I got much on my car keys or my car. It isn’t
until I get into the house and wash my hands and the flexi leads and still
smell something that I realize I also have dog crap on one pant leg from my
knee to my ankle. Glad I didn’t wear shorts today.

Marilyn Briggs