[Dailydrool] Basset baths

Pam McQuade dpmcquade at verizon.net
Mon Jun 28 07:20:30 PDT 2010

In general, I do the basset baths and go through all the things others have
listed. But if you have a difficult dog (I'm talking biting or bad hound
back situations), there is a much safer method:

1. Call groomer for appointment.
2. On appropriate day, put basset into crate in van.
3. Drive to groomer.
4. Release hound from van.
5. Bring hound to groomer, with apologies about his behavior.
6. Pick up groomed hound and pay through the nose for the beautiful grooming
job.
7. Be sure to thank them effusively.
8. Do numbers 2-4 in reverse, heading home instead of to groomer's.

We have refined this skill on our Abner, who would have a real hissy if I
tried to groom him. With a very long brush I might manage to do the wash and
rinse, but I don't think there is a grooming brush with a long enough handle
to keep me safe from his snapping jaws.

Abs is well overdue for a good grooming and still looks something like a
shedding bison, but spare cash has been tight around here for various
reasons. Usually by this time of year I've had him in already. But I may
just break down and get him his spa day anyway. When he's done, he always
looks so proud at how beautiful he looks, who could deny him that?
Pam, food slave to the Dashing Bassets