[Dailydrool] Archie

Rebecca Stanton stumpypaws at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Mar 21 13:35:55 PDT 2010

Hi Pam, oh how scary for you.  Luckily, epileptic animals, I believe like epileptic people too, do not appear to know anything about the fits when they occur, which is a good thing.  They do often, however, realise something is about to happen though, and Morse will suddenly become nervous and agitated, and generally will run to me,  about 10 seconds prior to the fit starting.  Morse also developed epilepsy when he was a few months from his 3rd birthday.  He is only on herbal medication (scullcap and valerian, recommented by the vet) as the vets wanted to try that first before starting - if it was needed - Morse on heavier medication.  His fits are generally about every 3 months, and he normally has 2 fits back to back with a gap of about 2 minutes in between.  They are grand mal fits, he is sometimes incontinent and is extremely tired for a few days after.  The up side, if there is one, is that they dont know what is happening, they come
 round like nothing has happened at all, although can be quite bewildered and dazed at first.  A point to remember is not to startle Archie when he comes round from the fit and to leave him to gather his senses, and remember where he is.  At first he may not even really know who you are so be careful of putting hands\face etc nearby, just in case he is frightened and lashes out.  When he is fitting try and hold him gently and stop his head from banging,  keep lights dim, turn music\tv off, and although it is a stressful situation just talk calmly to him, don't get upset and stressed.

We have put some foam around our fireplace where there were sharp edges, in case he fitted when he was alone at any time.  its also quite a good idea to pad out any area he is in, while left alone, with cushions, soft blankets, etc - anything to help if he is alone when he fits.  Morse doesnt go upstairs in our house anyway, but if Archie does usually, I think when he is left at any time to not allow him upstairs at that time, in case he goes into a fit and tries to head downstairs at the same time.

How many fits has Archie had now, how long do they last and how far apart are they?

Becky, Morse and Pumbaa ATB