[Dailydrool] Leptosporosis

Elizabeth Lindsey erlindsey at comcast.net
Sat Mar 27 14:03:06 PDT 2010

The vet I've just left vaccinates for leptosporosis. He includes it
in the DHPP vaccination. Our Elsinore has never had any trouble with
it, but young Charlie had a reaction to it the first time I took him
to the vet for an annual, two years ago. About six hours after
getting the DHLPP vaccination, his muzzle started to swell and feel
hard. Then the swelling spread up his face and to his head. His skin
got so tight that his eyes started to squint and the fur on his head
looked like a buzz cut. It was pretty scary because, even though his
breathing didn't seem to be affected, we weren't sure if it would be.

As luck would have it, this happened after the vet's office had
closed, so I called the ER. They told me to start popping Benedryl
down his throat, but not the children's liquid we had on hand. We
loaded up the dogs and drove as quickly as legally possible to the
nearest store and bought Benedryl capsules to give to Charlie in the
back seat. His swelling went down by about half over night, and by
the end of the next day it was gone.

Of course I called the vet the next morning, and he was positive it
was a reaction to the "L" in the "DHLPP." He also told me that a
dog's breathing will never be affected by this kind of reaction; it's
purely a skin reaction. That's one of the reasons I've left this vet--
he's always so very, very sure of things (like boy dogs can't have
UTIs), and that makes me nervous. No vet can know everything. I
prefer my vets to sometimes have doubts and to consult colleagues
periodically as a double-check.

Anyway, last year during Charlie's physical I reminded the vet of
Charlie's reaction, so the vet gave him an antihistamine injection
about 15 minutes before giving him the DHLPP vaccination. I kept him
close to me for the next 24 hours and had Benedryl capsules on my
body, just in case. No reaction this time, thank goodness.

This year we've switched to a vet we used for our late Jane Basset
when we first moved here. He's a good half hour away, but our current
bassets don't have the medical emergencies our Jane did. When I had
our Elsinore in earlier this month for her annual, I alerted the vet
to young Charlie's past vaccination history. Apparently this vet
doesn't include the "L" in his vaccinations. He says that statistics
for Tennessee show not a single reported incidence of lepotosporosis,
so the vaccination isn't necessary. I'm not sure how I feel about
that. There are a ton of un-vetted animals in this state, so there
could indeed be cases but they aren't being reported to the state
because raccoons don't have vets and neither do those rural hunting
dogs kept on chains when they're not tracking coons.

It'll be interesting to see what happens with Charlie and his
vaccinations, though. I'm supposed to give him some Benedryl a couple
of hours before his appointment, and he'll be spending the rest of
the day where I can watch him.

Elizabeth