[Dailydrool] Money-saving vet tips.

Cyn Mobley dogrescue at atriskintervention.org
Tue Mar 2 08:34:23 PST 2010

I posted this info to my Airedale folks and thought it might help someone on
this list. Disclaimer -- I am NOT A VET -- I just visit them a lot.

1. Clavamox is Amoxicillin with a kicker that makes it more effective - and
quadruples the price. For folks who are having tough times, Amoxi is really
worth trying and is a $4 prescription at Walmart. It is also the same thing
as human Augmentin, which is NOT a $4 script.

2. Rimadyl is now available as a generic called NOVOX. Ask for it if your
doc is prescribing the name brand. Much cheaper. Seems to be just as
effective.

3. Another doggie NSAID, Miloxicam, is also a human drug, Metacam/Mobic. The
generic is a $4 drug at Walmart. It's been quite effective on mine and we
now use it INSTEAD of Rimadyl for achy joints (Lucybelle Airedale, Flower
Mutt, Spawn Greyhound.)

4. Metrioniazole is not only an antifungal but excellent for chronic dental
problems and is also a $4 Walmart prescription. It has done better for
Lucybelle and Sam than Cephaloxin or - senior moment, started with a C, I
think, can't remember the other antibiotic she was on when she came in,
except that it was expensive.

5.  Last month my vet wrote me a script for compounded ivermect, the active
ingredient in Heartguard. I got pills suitable for 40 pounds and for 10
pounds. This works for us because most of my Bassets are 40-50 pounds and
Greyhounds 50-80 pounds. Lucybelledale is the smallest at 42 pounds and
that's what drove that choice. This way I can effectively dose any weight
with just the right amount without over or under dosing. 150 pills of EACH -
total of 300 pills - was $138. That includes a $25 compounding fee. Once you
pay the compounding fee, adding more pill is cheap. No additional charge for
divvying them up into different weight classes. 20-30 cents A PILL. One
compounding fee only, no matter how many pills you order, and then a per
pill fee. This is a huge savings for us. Before, I was dosing the liquid
with a syringe or using the paste, but this just gives me a huge comfort
factor that someone else is measuring stuff.

I've run across a few folks who didn't know that vets can write
prescriptions that can be taken to any pharmacy. They can. My vet personally
prefers to just call it in to Walmart.

Hope that helps someone save some money during these tough times.
Cyn Mobley