[Dailydrool] Week #369

Jane Hay janewhay at gmail.com
Tue Mar 9 07:19:58 PST 2010

 WEEK #369
" THINGS BASSETS NEED TO REMEMBER"
# 8......" I will not roll on dead seagulls, fish, deer poop, etc. just
because I like the way they smell."

I remain As Always,
L. L.
Lovely Lucy

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!! This one hits a little close to home right now.
Took all the Houndettes to the dog park a couple of weeks ago. Had a great
time till Suzy came racing out looking like she had scrubbed herself in mud
from her chin all the way down her side. Mud would have been wonderful
compared to what it actually was....deer poop! Oh my doG!! I had a bottle of
water and some wipes in the car and that wasn't nearly enough! We needed gas
masks to get home and the car still hasn't recovered!

I find so many people are totally unprepared for what a buppy can be capable
of. I had a long talk at the dog park the other day (different dog park!!)
who has a one year old buppy that is destroying his house and he's pretty
fed up with her. Gave him some suggestions because I really do think that a
tired buppy is a good buppy. I think he thought I might know something about
it since I was there with four bassets! I think everyone sees that adult
bassets are pretty laid back and don't realize what all of us have gone
through to get them there! Shadow is four this month and still counter
cruises with the best of them. Ginger turned three in December....the brown
truck has NOT arrived yet. Nothing is safe if I haven't given her a rawhide
or her Kong in a bit. Suzy will be three in April. Fortunately she isn't
much of a chewer but I wonder if she's ever going to learn to squeak, whine
or something to let me know she has to potty! The crate is still our best
friend for Ginger when we are going to be out of the house for a bit and
Suzy is gated in a bathroom when we're not home. The only one that I can
depend on not destroying something near and dear to my heart is our queen,
Jersey. However, if you leave anything edible near the edge of the counter,
it'll be gone.

I don't think that I'm hard hearted but I have been known to give the pups a
chewy and put them to bed for a few minutes when I need a break. Having
young bassets around is kind of like having a bunch of precocious two year
olds here and I'm not as young as I used to be. What is it with all of us
people in our 50's and 60's who have these young ones? Maybe it's a sign of
what's to come....total mind loss! But would I change anything? NOPE!!

Jane & the Houndettes
Jersey, Shadow, Suzy, & Ginger