[Dailydrool] We had a pair of bassets returned to us after adoption

Carmen Kraus kdbeads at verizon.net
Sun Mar 14 16:31:04 PDT 2010

I've held off mentioning anything as we have been swamped with things
that needed to get done and then I got a cold.... first cold since 1998...

Anyway, after much consideration Sally and Schroeder, who were adopted
out in November, were returned to us 2 weeks ago.  The adoption just
didn't work out as well as hoped.  They are here now, it's like they
never left.  When they got out of the car, they both headed straight for
us and nearly knocked us over to be petted, once that was handled, Sally
headed straight for the front door without prodding.  They knew the
routine, where their places were for dinner, where their crates were...
everything the second they walked in.  Sally was upset at first but
she's blind and change upsets her but after a day or so she was fine.
We are working on a bit of anxiety though for both of them.  There was a
terrier where they went that didn't like them and terrorized them quite
a bit.  Had I known this little dog would be a problem, they would not
have left here, but what's happened has happened.
They didn't even seem upset when they didn't leave with the adopters, it
was odd.

So if anyone is looking and likes a challenge, I have a pair for
adoption.  But I will be really, really picky this time around as to
where they go.  Sally, 9, blind, very vocal.
Schroeder, 10, very vocal and the biggest most determined food thief I
have ever seen, and I don't say that lightly.
Only behavior problem is the food thieving.  Both Fairly healthy, though
I'm going to see if Schroeder needs another entropion surgery, his lid
is drooping again and it's staying infected.  They are in need of a
dental.  Both are escape artists, seriously, I have cattle panels and
welded wire fencing buried along my privacy fence to keep them in.

Carmen and herd