[Dailydrool] Record keeping

belleheidi at msn.com belleheidi at msn.com
Tue Mar 16 15:38:29 PDT 2010

Our vet used to keep both Belle & Heidi in one folder for years.  Pages were
coming apart and getting mixed up.  We had a new vet join the practice and
we happened to have her for one of the girls - she stopped the exam and
physically straightened out the folder herself.  The next time we went in
the girls graduated to separate folders.

My record keeping is better organized than theirs.  I have a separate
notebook for Belle & Heidi that has notes from every appt from day one which
means there is 14 years in Belle's and 9-1/2 yrs in Heidi's - needless to
say the past few months they have been filling up quickly.  The books go
into every visit with me and if I need to call for something I can tell them
the last time they had the same issue.  The last time we were in for Belle's
pancreatitis (2 weeks from the 1st time), I was able to find the info
quicker in my notes that our vet could find it in the chart.  The info may
not be as technical but it certainly helps.

One last note, I have started to ask for copies of test results and copies
of the chart when something major is going on so I have it in the event that
we have to run to the emergency vet clinic at odd hours.  Knock on wood I
have never had to use them.

We trust our vets explicitly, but realize they see many many clients so any
help I can give is more peace of mind for Bob & I.

Hope these tidbits are helpful.

Patti
owned by Belle & Heidi