[Dailydrool] Laryngeal Paralysis: anyone have experience with this?

Susan Nickle snickle717 at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 21 11:48:39 PDT 2010

My Louie's voice has been sounding different the past few weeks. His bark sounds somewhat hoarse. Not congested, more of a dry, raspy bark. He sounds like a dog that has been barking a lot and then become hoarse, but he hasn't been barking. I've also noticed during this time that he will occasionally cough when eating. It only happens about 3 times a week, but that is new. So we went off to the vet a few days ago and he mentioned the possibility of laryngeal paralysis (LP). He did notice Louie's tonsils, especially the left one, looked a bit inflammed so we're trying a course of antibiotics for 10 days to see if that helps. If it doesn't we'll have to investigate further. In the meantime, I've been reading up on LP and am quite concerned. If anyone has any experience with this I would love to hear from you. Louie will be 13 in June and is in otherwise good health. The vet also did bloodwork and that came back just fine.

Hugs and drool to all in need.

Sue and Louie