[Dailydrool] Amputation in an older basset?

C Bradley cbradley at bradleyaudio.com
Sun Mar 21 13:55:57 PDT 2010

Our Marie is 11 or 12 and in pretty good shape physically and in overall
pretty good health. Except for this big tumor on her leg about the size of
an egg. The vet says it is very aggressive, but isn't the type of cells that
typically metastasize. He is recommending amputation (but still needs to
talk more with an oncologist - but its big enough and spread enough where he
doesn't think they can get it all in surgery). We are just not sure how well
she'll respond to that - how well she'll recover mobility, how much pain
she'll have, etc. All in all, the tumor has her limping, but she doesn't
seem to be in a lot of pain. And we obviously know that if we don't get this
done, it will reduce her life substantially and quickly. Anybody have an
older basset who has had a hind limb amputated and have any guidance on
this? She's the sweetest dog in the whole world, I think. We want to do what
is absolutely best for her.

Seth & Christie Bradley in Hood River, OR