[Dailydrool] Questions about liver, pancreatitus and frequency of anesthesia

Megan Knapik mcknap at comcast.net
Mon Mar 22 15:38:02 PDT 2010

Hope some of you knowledgeable guys here can help me. Mabel my 12 + basset
who has been pretty healthy except for a low grade heart murmur all these
years has had some recent problems.
She had surgery 3 weeks ago to remove 3 anal tumors - all biopsied and NOT
cancer.
Vet was concerned though that her kidney values and liver values were high -
I already feed her SD K?D as she has had some kidney value issue in the past

So 2 weeks after surgery she decides she is not going to eat and she starts
to vomit - I run her to the vet after a couple of days where she wont even
touch rice - Vet gives her exam no fever or anything so gives her shots of
antibiotics, anti nausea and subQ fluids and says to keep close eye of her -
This was Friday. Vet did say her kidney values went up slightly and that the
ATL was over 1000. She continued to vomit through weekend on and off in
spite of pills so I ran her back in today - Vet has determined she does have
pancreatitus but is really very concerned about the liver value, as the
kidney values are falling but the liver ones are not moving
He wants to do a laparoscopic biopsy, but I am worried about putting her
under again so soon
Right now she has been at vets all day getting IV - I am going to pick her
up and bring her home for night and then back in AM for more of same, I am
just wondering if I should continue to do this, maybe add some SAM-e and/or
Milk thistle and see how that goes first
Anyone have any advices here?