[Dailydrool] Abner's surgery

Pam McQuade dpmcquade at verizon.net
Fri Mar 26 08:41:47 PDT 2010

You may remember (or maybe you don't) that we were to take Abner in for a
consult with a surgeon about removing the lumps on and around his penis.
Well, Wednesday we saw a surgeon, then we consulted with our vet again. The
surgeon is not entirely certain, based on the biopsy, that it could not end
up being cancer.

The upshot of it is that this board certified surgeon will be doing the job.
It seems that it will be a bit of a dicey thing, with not a lot of wiggle
room and possible complexities. (I mean, just imagine doing surgery in that
area of the anatomy and having enough skin to close things up
nicely--evidently the skin in the area of the tumors will not be good enough
to heal properly.) On top of that, we understand that Abner's back trouble
will make things even more difficult, since when he is under anesthetic, he
will not be able to protect himself. We hope that when they move him, they
will treat him tenderly. The vets who did the back surgery are sending their
the records, so this vet will know just where he had the work done. (Our vet
suggested this, and I am so thankful she did so--I never would have thought
to do it otherwise.)

Abs also has a lump on his head, probably just a cyst, that the surgeon
wants to take off.

But the surgeon who saw us Wednesday will not be able to do the surgery,
since he's gone on vacation. His partner, an owner of the practice, will be
working on Abs. We will meet him the day of the surgery. Our previous
experience with this practice has been very good, so I am not too worried
that this fellow will do well by our Abner.

Please keep slinging the drool for our little boy. He is scheduled for
surgery on Thursday.

Thanks so much,
Pam, with Drew, food slave to the Dashing Bassets