[Dailydrool] Our Elsinore's Sixth

Elizabeth Lindsey erlindsey at comcast.net
Sat Mar 27 18:35:27 PDT 2010

Today we've been celebrating our Elsinore's sixth anniversary with
us. Six years ago today, March 27, we met Meg Harris of Basset Hound
Rescue of Alabama and looked at both Elsinore (or Alexis, as she was
known then) and another female basset. We chose Elsinore to be our
late and always-missed Jane Basset's successor. Although they have
very different personalities, Elsinore has indeed been a worthy
successor to Jane.

We estimate Elsinore's age to be about 8 or 9. Her face is quickly
going white, but her energy and intensity levels (I swear she's got
some terrier in her) remain as high as they were when she first came
home with us. Elsinore likes to be active and constantly doing
things. She thrives on the mental stimulation of her dance
(freestyle) lessons. People are another passion of hers, and she's
yet to meet a stranger. No matter where we are--the dog park, her job
at the hospice, walking around the neighborhood--Elsinore wants to
introduce herself and ask the people she meets about themselves (and
encourage them to keep on patting her).

Looking back over the six years we've been enjoying her makes me
realize how much Elsinore has done with us. She's traveled to many
states and put her toes in Lake Michigan, the Atlantic Ocean, and a
really cool-looking fountain on the Yale University campus. She's
gone through obedience courses and dance lessons. She's held a
regular pet therapy job at a hospice for three years now. She's been
a charming hostess when we've entertained. She's adapted with good
grace to sharing us with another basset and entertaining him when he
needs playing with. She's made many friends, both canine and human.
She's practiced her singing enough to be considered quite
accomplished. She's turned into a formidable protector of her home
and the humans in it (a good thing in our inner city neighborhood).
She's become an integral and important part of our lives. Elsinore
wants very much to please us, to the point of trying to anticipate
what we might want next from her and then doing it before we ask. She
doesn't always hit the mark, but she always gets an A for effort.

Elsinore's special day was spent sunbathing in the backyard, napping
on her favorite bed in the dining room, and going for a walk along
the river with us and young Charlie. In a few minutes, we'll go have
some dog-friendly cake with her and wish her at least another six
years with us.

Elizabeth