[Dailydrool] Nigel's Pome

Beverly Szaton bgszap2 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 28 05:37:34 PDT 2010

We do not know what came under the gate but something certainly did, because
the moment I let them out all four dogs hit the gate with noses working
madly and then began trailing. They got as far as the garden, which is
fenced off. They wandered up and down the line, air-scenting, except for
Cooper who says that something is living in the woodpile by the shed, and
went over there to stand and listen, head cocked. I have heard sounds in
there also, so I know we have a guest, probably the possum.

We have not seen the fox again but after she came through the yard (under
the gate I bet) we did a detailed inspection of the fence and patched up a
couple of loose boards. Of course foxes are considerably more sylph-like
than any Basset I have met and she could have gotten through the fence in a
spot that we missed. Every year there is a fox den in an area not far from
here, and I have talked to people who have seen the kits in past years.  So
I think this fox lives nearby and was hunting, got caught out.

Is the moon full? Had a dogfight yesterday and another, less impressive one
this morning. Nigel and Cooper...