[Dailydrool] healthy dogs

Beverly Szaton bgszap2 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 29 16:02:47 PDT 2010

Bassets are mutants. Sometimes in more ways than one.
They are no more or less healthy than any other breed, almost each of which
has its own weakness.
Because a breed is prone to certain illnesses doesn't mean yours will
develop that problem.
Once, many many years ago when the earth was green, I did a rather extensive
study of breed specific problems. I handed out questionnaires at dog shows
to breeders and handlers asking about the health of their breed. Many were
very reluctant to return them, but many did, and I was stunned at the number
of problems certain breeds had as a matter of course.

If you are worried about the health of your dog get regular check-ups,
vaccinate according to the protocol your Vet recommends (see? I can be
fair.)
Keep his nails cut, his ears clean and feed good food. It doesn't have to be
raw, or the most expensive, you don't have to cook for your dogs if that
isn't your thing, any good quality food will work. Take the dog to the Vet
when you think something is wrong. If you aren't sure whether something is
wrong, take your dog to the Vet: that's what they're there for. I would
rather pay to find out that once again I am out of my mind imagining things
than take a chance by waiting.

Chances are excellent that aside from an occasional pukeage on the Heirloom
 Oriental rug or diarhhea during the dinner party, your Basset will lead a
long and healthy life.

PS If you have a puppy remember that rocks and electrical cords are not good
chew toys.

MomPerson to Nigel, Llewis, Conley and Cooper